This course includes the Textbook 'Understanding Spirits: Explaining Style and Quality', You can receive this as an eBook or in a Hard Copy format.
Please choose pack type to continue.
Friday, September 17th, 2021
Online class start date:
Monday, September 27th, 2021
|Online class finish date:
||Sunday, November 28st, 2021
Exam date & time:
Review - In-person: Saturday Dec 4th, 2021
Exam - in-person: Sunday Dec 5th, 2021
To be announced
(It will be in Vancovuer)
The course is based around a 9-week structured online programme with a recommendation of 10 hours study per week to cover the online activities and read the relevant chapters in the textbook. There is also a 1-day classroom tutorial that will focus on tasting and include some theory review. The course follows a weekly structure, but it allows the student to work ahead or catch up on the activities and forums. There are no set times to log into the course as there are no live chats or webinars. Regular access and participation in the course online activities is essential for this mode of study.
Statera will provide the relevant and current WSET Spirits Level 3 study materials for this course. Revision of Level 2 Spirits Materials is recommended.
The course prepares the student for our qualification and they are guided by a WSET educator. The student can contact the educator any time for the duration of the scheduled course, should they have any questions. Each week includes a series of independent activities that guide the student through the spirits categories and help them to understand the factors that contribute to a spirits style and quality.
Students should be advised to taste a range of spirits during their studies. A list of recommended tasting samples can be found in the Specification. Students can post their tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the educator. A 1-day classroom tutorial (in-person) covering the Level 3 Spirits tasting technique is included with Statera, along with scheduled Zoom review sessions. (online)
Regular access and participation in the course online activities is essential for this mode of study. To review, you will have access to the platform for one full year from start date.
Included in the course fee is the WSET Spirits Level 3 Text Book, "Understanding Spirits: Explaining Style and Quality" You need to choose which version you would like to receive, either ebook or hard copy. See above.
The course also includes Three Zoom Sessions with Statera. These sessions will be to review, discuss, and taste along if you wish. They are optional and not recorded. Zoom session dates will be sent at course start date.
Click here to download the L3 Spirits Specification
This document has the complete course detail, including important details for the exam from WSET.
Week 1: Tasting technique, Spirit Laws and Service
- Learn how to describe and assess a spirit using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Learn about alcoholic fermentation and the principles of distillation.
Week 2: Factors Affecting Style, Quality and Price of Spirits
- Learn about pot still distillation, column still distillation and the fundamentals of maturation in oak and the uses of inert vessels.
Weeks 3-4: Factors Affecting Style and Quality of Whisky
- Learn about the factors that affect the style and quality of whiskies from around the world. Whisky producing countries covered are Scotland, Ireland, USA, Canada and Japan.
Week 5: Factors Affecting Style and Quality of Fruit Spirits
- Learn about the factors that affect the style and quality of fruit spirits from around the world. Fruit spirits covered are Cognac, Armagnac, Brandy de Jerez, South African Brandy, Chilean Pisco, Peruvian Pisco, Grappa and other European Fruit Spirits.
Weeks 6: Asian Spirits
- Learn about Asian Spirits and some of the techniques use in their production. Spirits covered are Shōchū, Baijiu and Soju.
Week 7: Sugar Cane Spirits
- Learn about the factors that affect the style and quality of sugar cane spirits from around the world. Sugar cane spirits covered are Caribbean rum and Brazilian Cachaça.
Week 8: Agave Spirits
- Learn about the factors that affect the style and quality of agave spirits from Mexico. Agave spirits covered are Tequila, Mezcal, Raicilla and Bacanora. This module also covers another similar Mexican spirit Sotol.
Week 9: Vodka, Gin and Other Flavoured Spirits
- Learn about the factors that affect the style and quality of vodka and flavoured spirits. Spirits covered are Vodka, Gin, Genever, flavoured vodka, akvavit, aniseed spirits spiced rum, flavoured whisky, bitters and liqueurs. Aromatised wines covered are vermouth, quinquina/chinato and americano.
You can click here for details on our Refund / Cancellation Policy
The Gift of Education!! For information on Statera Gift Cards Click Here.